Any Co-op Insurance customers affected who need to claim can call Co-op Insurance on our 24 hour claims line: 0345 999 8888.
We want to make sure you and your home are prepared for the potential stormy weather.
Here are some tips to help keep your home safe in the event of a storm:
Outside your home
- Secure items in the garden such as furniture, pot plants, ladders and children’s toys, or bring inside the house if you have space
- Check that your fences panels are secure
- Park your car away from large trees in case there are any falling branches
- If you are in a flood risk area, if possible move your car to higher ground where flooding is less likely
- Don’t drive as the flood hits as this is potentially dangerous
Inside your home
- Make sure that all windows and doors are closed and locked
- Make sure you have emergency contact numbers in a safe place i.e. insurance claims number and policy number, local authority and utility company contact details
- Move any valuable or essential items in your property upstairs
- Unplug all your electrical items in case of any power surges
- Know where to switch off your utilities at the mains – gas, electricity and water
- Back up computers and switch them off to avoid losing any sentimental items e.g. photographs
- If you lose power, have a torch at the ready instead of candles as these could pose a fire hazard
- Have a storm kit ready including any essential items such as blanket, torch, water and easy to eat non-perishable
- Keep pets warm and indoors
- If you have any neighbours who may need support, check to see if they need your help before and after the storm
If your home is damaged by bad weather, contact your insurer as soon as possible so that they can assess the level of damage and make the necessary arrangements to deal with your claim.
If you have a flood alert in your area, download our WATER flood tips.